Bleeding: To control bleeding, apply firm but gentle pressure with sterile gauze, a clean towel or cloth directly over the wound. Continue applying pressure with the gauze/towel/cloth until you reach the vet.
Superficial bite wound: Thoroughly flush the wound with warm, soapy water. You can also flush it with povidone iodine solution (make sure it’s diluted to an “ice-tea” color using warm water). If the wound is deeper than the thickness of the skin, call your vet immediately for instruction before attempting to clean or flush it out.
Ingestion of poisonous or toxic substance: If your rabbit is excessively salivating, pawing at the mouth and/or has unusual bruising on the skin, it may have ingested something toxic, which requires vet care. (Keep in mind that there may be no immediate signs of poisoning, so if you suspect that your pet ingested something toxic, take it to the vet.) Bruises on the skin can be a sign of rat poison ingestion, as it prevents blood from clotting normally.
Common household toxins include:
- Lead or zinc from galvanized cages
- Linoleum and curtain weights
- Cleaning supplies
- New carpet fumes and insecticides.
Toxic plants include:
- Calla lily
- Lily of the valley
- Morning glory
- Pits, seeds or bark of apricot, apple, almond, chokecherry and wild black cherry trees