Posted: March 19, 2012, 8:50 p.m. EDT
Not sure if your hamster is sick or healthy? Look at the following healthy hamster indicators. If you do believe your hamster is sick, take him to a veterinarian with experience. Healthy hamsters will have:
1. Bright and clear eyes. There should be no discharge or sign of injury.
2. An active, alert disposition and moves around freely.
3. Thick, even fur with no bald spots or patches. The hamster's fur should be glossy.
4. Smooth, clean skin. Any flakiness or dark moving spots on the hamster's skin are a sign of external parasites.
5. Nostrils free of discharge.
6. Firm stools. The fur around the hamster's tail should be clean and dry.
7. Ears free of tears or sores.
8. No lumps, bumps or open wounds.
9. A solid, heavy feel.
Want to know more about hamster sickness and health? Check out our Hamster Health Center for information on hamster health problems.
Excerpt from the Popular Critters Series magabook Hamsters with permission from its publisher, BowTie magazines, a division of BowTie Inc. Purchase Hamsters here.