Posted: April 1, 2010, 5 a.m. EDT
Q: I am having a lot of trouble litter training my ferret. I've had ferrets in the past, and they trained just fine. My ferret, Bear, only occasionally uses his litter box. He mostly uses the corner by the litter box, regardless of whether or not his box is clean or dirty or in between. Any suggestions?
A: Ferrets can be difficult to litter train, as you are experiencing. Trial and error seem to work the best in figuring out what works for each ferret. Here are some suggestions:
1. Try more litter boxes, especially in places your ferret is going.
2. Try a different litter.
3. Try a different shaped litter box.
4. Place newspaper under the litter box that extends out to where your ferret is going.
5. Encourage your ferret to go in the litter box by placing him in it when he seems to need to go.
6. Encourage your ferret to go in the litter box by keeping him in his cage until he uses his litter box.
See all Ferret FAQ questions and answers>>