Entries are now being accepted for the Rabbits USA Photo Contest 2011, so get clicking with your camera. The categories for next year are:
Holiday Rabbits — Show us how your rabbit celebrates the holidays: Christmas, Halloween, Valentine’s Day, Fourth of July, President’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Earth Day, New Year’s, Easter, St. Patrick’s Day, Memorial Day ... the possibilities go on and on!
Rabbit Munchers — Rabbits are munchers, nibblers and chewers, so catch your rabbit doing what it does best!
1. All entries must be postmarked by September 1, 2010.
2. The Rabbits USA Photo Contest is open to all amateur photographers except BowTie Inc. employees or their families.
3. Color prints, slides or digital images will be accepted. Prints should be unmounted, unframed and no larger than 8 by 10 inches. Color slides must be secured in a plastic mount. Digital images must be taken using a camera with 5 or more megapixels set at its highest resolution (mail these entries to us on CD or DVD; you can also e-mail images to email@example.com — mark the subject line “Rabbits USA Photo Contest”; be sure to include all information from the entry form below). Do not send photos printed by a home computer or Polaroids.
4. Each entrant may submit up to three entries per contest category.
5. Each photo/slide must be accompanied by a completed entry form. Photocopies of the entry form are acceptable if you enter more than one photo in the contest. (Please do not use staples or paper clips — they may scratch your photos or slides.) Type or print your information, and be sure it is legible. We are not responsible for misspelled names resulting from misinterpreting handwriting. Be careful not to smear ink on photographs.
6. Previously published photos are not eligible.
7. All entries become the property of Rabbits USA and cannot be returned. Entrants certify that they own the rabbits photographed or have the owner’s permission to enter the photo(s) in the contest. Any potential future use, such as in BowTie Inc. magazines or websites, is at the discretion of BowTie Inc. No payment, other than the prize money if you win the Rabbits USA annual photo contest, will be awarded. By submitting your photograph to this photo contest, you agree that if you win the contest, your contact information will be given to contest sponsors, who may use the information for marketing purposes.
8. If a photo depicts a potentially risky scenario, such as allowing rabbits access to an open dishwasher, clothes dryer, other animals, Rabbits USA assumes photos were staged under close supervision and that the rabbit’s (or other animal pictured) welfare was never in jeopardy.
9. Prizes will be awarded as follows: first-place winners receive $100; second-place winners, $75; and third-place winners, $50. Judges may also choose several “honorable mention” winners (no prizes given) to run in the magazine. Prize money is awarded upon publication of the magazine (usually in January).
10. Winners are selected by a panel of judges chosen by the Rabbits USA staff. All entries are judged on suitability to the contest category, technical merit (clarity and composition) and subject matter. All judging decisions are final. Good luck, and have fun!
1. Get close. Allow the scenery to complement your rabbit, not compete with it.
2. Get down — photograph at your pet’s level. Position yourself on the ground or place your rabbit on a platform or table so your camera is facing your rabbit.
3. Make sure your rabbit is in focus with adequate lighting.
4. Ask a friend or two for help. Don’t miss the opportunity to take a great photo because you’re trying to do too many things at one time. Have an assistant attract the animal’s attention toward the camera.
5. Make sure your rabbit is well-groomed and in peak condition.
6. Don’t forget to have fun!
Rabbits USA 2011 Photo Contest Entry Form
Category: _____ Holiday Rabbits _____ Rabbit Munchers
Name(s) of owner(s) ______________________________________________________
Name(s) of rabbit(s) ______________________________________________________
Photographer’s Name _____________________________________________________
City _______________________ State ________________ Zip ___________________
Phone No. (needed to call for your SSN if you win) _____________________________
Send this completed entry form with your photograph to:
Rabbits USA Photo Contest
Editorial Dept/Marylou Zarbock
P.O. Box 6050
Mission Viejo, CA 92690
Mail digital images of 5 megapixels or higher (at highest resolution) to us on CD or DVD; You can also e-mail images to firstname.lastname@example.org — mark the subject line “Rabbits USA Photo Contest” Entries must be received on or before September 1, 2010.
Pick up the 2010 issue of Rabbits USA or click here to buy the issue.