Entries are now being accepted for the Ferrets USA Photo Contest 2012, so get clicking with your camera. The categories for next year are:
Holiday Ferrets — Does your ferret celebrate the holidays with you? Capture a moment from any holiday — New Year’s, St. Patrick’s, Arbor Day, Fourth of July or any other — and send it in!
Ferret Snuggles — Show us your ferret snuggling, whether by itself, with other ferrets or animals, or you!
1. All entries must be postmarked by August 1, 2011.
2. The Ferrets USA Photo Contest is open to all amateur photographers except BowTie Inc. employees or their families.
3. Color prints, slides or digital images will be accepted. Prints should be unmounted, unframed and no larger than 8 by 10 inches. Color slides must be secured in a plastic mount. Digital images must be taken using a camera with 5 or more megapixels set at its highest resolution (mail these entries to us on CD or DVD; you can also e-mail images to email@example.com — mark the subject line “Ferrets USA Photo Contest”; be sure to include all information from the entry form below). Do not send photos printed by a home computer or Polaroids.
4. Each entrant may submit up to three entries per contest category.
5. Each photo/slide must be accompanied by a completed entry form. Photocopies of the entry form are acceptable if you enter more than one photo in the contest. (Please do not use staples or paper clips — these may scratch your photos or slides.) Type or print your information, and be sure it is legible. We are not responsible for misspelled names resulting from misinterpreting handwriting. Be careful not to smear ink on photographs.
6. Previously published photos are not eligible.
7. All entries become the property of Ferrets USA and cannot be returned. Entrants certify that they own the ferrets photographed or have the owner’s permission to enter the photo(s) in the contest. Any potential future use, such as in BowTie Inc. magazines or websites, is at the discretion of BowTie Inc. No payment, other than the prize money if you win the Ferrets USA annual photo contest, will be awarded. By submitting your photograph to this photo contest, you agree that if you win the contest, your contact information will be given to contest sponsors, who may use the information for marketing purposes.
8. If a photo depicts a potentially risky scenario, such as allowing ferrets access to an open dishwasher, clothes dryer, other animals, Ferrets USA assumes photos were staged under close supervision and that the ferret’s (or other animal pictured) welfare was never in jeopardy.
9. Prizes will be awarded as follows: first-place winners receive $75; second-place winners, $50; and third-place winners, $25. Judges may also choose several “honorable mention” winners (no prizes given) to run in the magazine. Prize money is awarded upon publication of the magazine (usually in November).
10. Winners are selected by a panel of judges chosen by the Ferrets USA staff. All entries are judged on suitability to the contest category, technical merit (clarity and composition) and subject matter. All judging decisions are final. Good luck, and have fun!
1. Get close. Allow the scenery to complement your ferret, not compete with it.
2. Get down — photograph at your pet’s level. Position yourself on the ground or place your ferret on a platform or table so your camera is facing your ferret.
3. Make sure your ferret is in focus with adequate lighting.
4. Ask a friend or two for help. Don’t miss the opportunity to take a great photo because you’re trying to do too many things at one time. Have an assistant attract the animal’s attention toward the camera.
5. Make sure your ferret is well-groomed and in peak condition.
6. Don’t forget to have fun!
Ferrets USA 2012 Photo Contest Entry
Category: q Holiday Ferrets q Ferret Snuggles
Name(s) of owner(s) __________________________________________________________
Name(s) of ferret(s) ___________________________________________________________
Coat color/pattern ____________________________________________________________
Photographer’s Name _________________________________________________________
City __________________________ State __________________ Zip ___________________
Phone Number _______________________________________________________________
Send this completed entry form with your photograph to: Ferrets USA Photo Contest P.O. Box 6050 Mission Viejo, CA 92690
Mail digital images of 5 megapixels or higher (at highest resolution) to us on CD or DVD;
You can also e-mail images to firstname.lastname@example.org — mark the subject line “Ferrets USA Photo Contest” Entries must be received on or before August 1, 2011.