Entries are now being accepted for the Ferrets USA Photo Contest 2010, so get clicking with your camera. The categories for next year are:
Trick Or Treat — Does your ferret do tricks for treats? Catch it in action to show off your pet’s skills.
Kung Fu Ferret — We all know that ferrets are crazy flexible and able to assume the oddest positions. Try to snap a photo of your ferret when it assumes a pose similar to a favorite Kung Fu style.
1. All entries must be received by August 15, 2009.
2. The Ferrets USA Photo Contest is open to all amateur photographers except BowTie Inc. employees or their families.
3. Color prints, slides or digital images will be accepted. Prints should be unmounted, unframed and no larger than 8 by 10 inches. Color slides must be secured in a plastic mount. Digital images must be taken using a camera with 5 or more megapixels set at its highest resolution. These can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Mark the subject line Ferrets USA Photo Contest and be sure to include all information from the entry form below). Do not send photos printed by a home computer, glass-mounted slides or Polaroids.
4. Each entrant may submit up to three entries per category.
5. Each photo/slide must be accompanied by a completed entry form. Photocopies of the entry form are acceptable if you enter more than one photo in the contest. (Please do not use staples or paper clips — they may scratch your photos or slides.) Type or print your information, and be sure it is legible. We are not responsible for misspelled names resulting from misinterpreting handwriting. Be careful not to smear ink on photographs.
6. Previously published photos are not eligible.
7. All entries become the property of Ferrets USA and cannot be returned. Entrants certify that they own the ferrets photographed or have the owner’s permission to enter the photo(s) in the contest. Any potential future use, such as in BowTie Inc. magazines or websites, is at the discretion of BowTie Inc. No payment, other than the prize money if you win the Ferrets USA annual photo contest, will be awarded. By submitting your photograph to this photo contest, you agree that if you win the contest, your contact information will be given to contest sponsors, who may use the information for marketing purposes.
8. If a photo depicts a potentially risky scenario, such as allowing ferrets access to an open dishwasher, clothes dryer, other animals, Ferrets USA assumes photos were staged under close supervision and that the ferret’s (or other animals pictured) welfare was never in jeopardy.
9. Prizes will be awarded as follows: first-place winners receive $75; second-place winners, $50; and third-place winners, $25. Judges may also choose several “honorable mention” winners (no prizes given) to run in the magazine. Prize money is awarded upon publication of the magazine (usually in November).
10. Winners are selected by a panel of judges chosen by the Ferrets USA staff. All entries are judged on suitability to the contest category, technical merit (clarity and composition) and subject matter. All decisions are final. Good luck, and have fun!
1. Get close. Allow the scenery to complement your ferret, not compete with it.
2. Get down — photograph at your pet’s level. Position yourself on the ground or place your ferret on a platform or table so your camera is facing your ferret.
3. Make sure your ferret is in focus with adequate lighting.
4. Ask a friend or two for help. Don’t miss the opportunity to take a great photo because you’re trying to do too many things at one time. Have an assistant attract the animal’s attention toward the camera.
5. Make sure your ferret is well groomed and in peak condition.
6. Don’t forget to have fun!
FerretsUSA 2010 PhotoContest Entry Information
Category: ___ Trick Or Treat ___ Kung Fu Ferret
Name(s) of owner(s) _____________________________________________________________
Name(s) of ferret(s) ______________________________________________________________
Coat color/pattern _______________________________________________________________
Photographer’s Name ____________________________________________________________
Phone Number (if you win, we'll call you to get your SSN for payment) _____________________
Send this completed entry form or the information from it with your photograph to:
Ferrets USA Photo Contest P.O. Box 6050 Mission Viejo, CA 92690
or e-mail email@example.com (mark the subject line Ferrets USA Photo Contest).
Digital images must be high resolution to print in the magazine. Digital images taken by a camera with 5 megapixels or higher set at the highest resolution should be acceptable.
The deadline for entries to be received is August 15, 2009.